Monday, December 7, 2009

The Scavenger Hunt

I am coming to realize how much I second-guess God’s faithfulness, even though He constantly proves Himself to me in little and big things, often times before I’ve even prayed about it. Even the silly things, like when I lost the little plastic stick that holds the card in a bouquet of flowers I was delivering to someone who had just lost their mom to cancer. I NEEDED to have that stick in the bouquet ‘cause the flowers were not from me, so I had to make sure that card was visible and wouldn’t get wet since, knowing me, the first thing I’d do is drop it into a puddle if it wasn’t on that stick thing. I could NOT find that thing. I seriously emptied my entire bag looking for it. It was NOT there. I prayed and literally seconds later it just dropped out of...I’m not sure where since I’d just looked EVERYWHERE. God. Or how I’m running late to work and my Jeep happens to be the ONLY vehicle that doesn’t have stuff frozen to the windshield so I can just start it and go. God. Or how I wake up at night with God telling me exactly whom I’m supposed to be praying for right then. Or who needs my help. Or just a hug. God. Or how He uses reading assignments for secular college classes that I have a bad attitude about doing in the first place to not only admonish me for my attitude, but encourage me, out of nowhere. Incredible. He constantly surprises me when I lose faith by the most amazingly random things happening that prove to me over and over again that my life is not my own and that, once again, I’ve sold my God short. I feel rightly ashamed of myself, and yet, I find myself doing it again and again. Thank you Lord for your patience with a stubborn, forgetful, ungrateful child. And for still calling me a princess. Unbelievable. Even in times when all I can see are the obstacles in front of me, God directs my attention to what He is doing as He goes before me and is with me the whole way. And He has already forgiven my lack of faith before I realize I’ve been selling Him short. Now THAT is true love. I know these are just midnight ramblings of a very tired mind, but I hope that if you bother to read this, you feel somewhat encouraged. God is here and so very involved in your life and my life, and is always faithful, regardless of how much we sell Him short. I’m making an effort to train my eyes to the scavenger hunt that should be the easiest ever. The goal? To see God working everywhere. Because He is. The Holy Spirit will open your eyes if you’re looking around to see it.

2 comments:

Josie said...

Awesome post, Tam! So true! Love you!

Nate said...

Funny how you can tell people to "Look to the Lord" or "watch for His subtleties," but forget to do it yourself. Thanks for the reminder Tamara.